GRTU Member Portal Forums Flyfishing Saltwater Testing recently complete 7 wt fiberglass fly rod on G-Bay

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Ron Mc 19 hours, 1 minute ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

sdmerryman
    Participant

Haven’t posted much but figured I would start. I recently completed building a 7 weight fly rod on a Blue Halo 3 piece fiberglass blank. Took it out and tested it. Seems to be a “fish magnet”:)  

cassio.silva.tx
    Participant

I bet a good size speck or red would be real fun on a glass rod. What is the cost of building that rod? I’ve been curious about building my own, do you have any recommendation of books, website or other resources.

sdmerryman
    Participant

Cassio,

The rod is fun to fish and I plan to take it to the Guadeloupe this week to try out.

It cost about $225 for materials to build. I did use titanium stripping guides and Recoil titanium snake guides. The blank is from Blue Halo. They have a website.

There are many websites for materials and info. Just do a search. Fishing Tackle unlimited also has supplies.

Scott

Ron Mc
    Participant

that came out nice.

I bought one of the CGR 7/8 glass rods for a sit-down quick-shoot kayak rod.

Went through my arsenal of salty lines and found the rod would handle the  leader and any line in close, was temperamental for shooting line, but did everything right with my Airflo slime line.  I could have the belly out on the 2nd stroke, and shoot twice the belly on the 3rd.

More testing nailed it down with a 200-gr Teeny spliced shooting head, and went searching from there for the perfect floating line.  Found it in Cortland Saltwater Guide WF7F.  I can repeat the 3-stroke drill and get line out to 70′

• This reply was modified 18 hours, 59 minutes ago by  Ron Mc.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.